Your home may not meet code requirements for many reasons. Some of these reasons are valid, and some are not. If you suspect that your home is not code compliant and would like to know for sure, watch out for these signs.
You Don’t Have a Smoke Detector in Every Room
Most states require that all bedrooms be equipped with smoke detectors. You also need them in hallways, stairways, and at least one common area, such as the kitchen or living room. Smoke detectors should be tested monthly and replaced every 10 years. In addition, they should be interconnected so that when one goes off, they all go off.
You Don’t Have Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that can kill you silently before you become aware of it. CO can come from appliances with catalytic converters or unvented gas stoves, fireplaces, and furnaces. Because it’s odorless, it’s important to have CO detectors installed in each bedroom and near sleeping areas so occupants will wake up if there’s a problem.
Unsafe Wiring or Outlets
Wiring must be installed according to electrical codes, and all electrical outlets must be adequately grounded to prevent shock hazards from occurring. If you notice any wiring issues or unsafe outlets, call an electrician immediately to have your outlets fixed before turning the power back on.
The Foundation Seems Unstable
If your home has a cracked foundation or if you notice cracks in your walls or ceilings, this could indicate that there’s something wrong with your home’s foundation. It might also mean that there’s been some shifting in the ground around your home during earthquakes or other natural disasters, like floods or hurricanes. This would be an even bigger problem than just having a damaged foundation on its own.
There Are Cracks In the Walls or Ceilings of Your Home
The first sign that your home is not code compliant is the presence of cracks in your walls or ceilings. If your home has any wall gaps, this is likely a result of water damage. Water damage can be caused by faulty roofing, plumbing, or attic insulation. Any one of these problems can lead to mold and mildew growth. In addition, mold and mildew can spread very quickly throughout your home if there is a leak or flooding issue.
If your breaker keeps tripping or you notice any other problems with your electrical system, don’t hesitate to call Excel Electric in Eugene, OR, and set up an appointment immediately. We have provided the residents of the Willamette Valley with superior electrical work for quite some time. When we come to your house to make a diagnosis, we always aim to make you happy. We are a full-service company that his happy to meet your electrical needs. We can also send an electrician to your house immediately when you have an electrical emergency. Our service area encompasses Eugene and the surrounding Willamette Valley in Oregon.